8 January 2024

How to file US tax returns with an ITIN

You might be wondering how you file tax returns with an ITIN. We shall tell you how in this blog.

The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number is a crucial requirement for anyone who is not a US citizen, but needs to file taxes there. It can be difficult to understand what is needed of you when you need to file taxes yourself with the use of an ITIN.

We have two registered Certifying Acceptance Agents at Woodcock Notary Public, so we can help you understand everything you need to know about ITINs. However, please note that we cannot help you file your taxes, we can only help you with your ITIN application. 

Our certification-only package includes but is limited to the following: authenticating your identity documents, making a certified copy of the said document, signing the W-7 Certificate of Accuracy (COA), and then countersigning the W-7 form.

You can read about how to apply for an ITIN on our webpage if you would like to learn more.

Filing US taxes with an ITIN

The due date for US tax returns is 15 April, so the best time to file your tax returns would be in the months prior. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to file your taxes and make sure everything is in order. Additionally, you need to give yourself time to get an ITIN if you do not have one.

The tax return process for US citizens, and non-citizens is more or less the same. There is only one real difference, which is the ITIN. US citizens will use their Social Security number, which US citizens apply for from the US government. However, for those who are not US citizens, they will use their ITIN. Both numbers are entered into the same field. This field will be labelled as ‘Social Security number’.

Can I claim tax credit?

If you are applying for a tax return with an ITIN, you are eligible for Child Tax Credit, and child and dependent tax credit. However, your child or dependents must first meet certain requirements for you to apply for tax credit. 

The requirements for Child Tax Credit:  

  • Under 17 at the end of the year
  • Be your child (can be adopted or a step-child), a grandchild, brother, sister, nephew, or niece
  • You provide half or more of their financial support
  • Lived with you for more than half the year
  • Be a US citizen, national, or a resident 
  • Be claimed as a dependant 

For child and dependent care credit, the requirements are: 

  • The child must have been under 13 when given care
  • Your spouse must have been incapable of caring for themselves and lived with your for half the year or more
  • Other dependants must have been incapable of self-care and lived with you for more than half a year

How we can help

If you have any questions, want more information, or need our help with applying for an ITIN, then get in touch with us today.

Additionally, visit our blog on how to use a CAA to claim US inheritance to learn more about what we can do for you.

Woodcock Notary Public Limited is a Certifying Acceptance Agent, authorised by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to expedite the processing of Forms W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

Mr Nathan Woodcock is regulated through the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury for work undertaken by him as a Notary Public (Admitted Notary Number: 620365). Mr Nathan Woodcock operates his practice through Woodcock Notary Public Limited (Co. No: 12085976). Mr Nathan Woodcock is a member of the Notaries Society and the Common Law Association of Notaries.

Head office

Woodcock Notary Public
Level 37
One Canada Square
Canary Wharf
E14 5AA



Appointments available across England on request

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy | Disclaimer
Designed by Woodcock Marketing
Copyright 2024 Woodcock Notary Public Limited. All Rights Reserved.